2 3 Terminology Tuesday Dégagé | Ballet Webb

Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Terminology Tuesday Dégagé



Terminology Tuesday Dégagé

We all know that the word dégagé is usually defined as meaning disengage. But here is another, very interesting meaning from https://ballethub.com/ballet-lesson/tendu-advanced-ballet-students/:

“Anecdotally, dégagé in French means to move from one place to another. Lame Duck also has the name tour dégagé because it moves, chasse, if not a jump, can also be referred to as dégagé for the same reason. If you tell someone: “Degage!”, it is a not so nice way to say: “Get out of my way!”

Now you know!

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Terminology Secret #46:
“The word dégagé has other meanings.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
Sweater, n. Garment worn by child when its mother is feeling chilly.”
― Ambrose Bierce, The Unabridged Devil's Dictionary

Help expand the knowledge base!
Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:

No comments:

Post a Comment