2 3 Wild Wednesday Upper Hamstring | Ballet Webb

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Wild Wednesday Upper Hamstring



Wild Wednesday Upper Hamstring

When dancers are working to identify and work the muscles involved in turnout they are often told to “squeeze the seat”. I have never found this directive to be particularly helpful, either for myself or for my students and that’s why I don’t use it. But if it works for you…

Anyway, turnout, as we all know, comes from the rotation of the femur (thigh bone) in the ball-and-socket joint of the hip. But finding and feeling this sensation along with the necessary lift is often problematic.

Try this: Instead of squeezing the seat, imagine rotating the legs while lifting the upper hamstrings.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Secret #3y:
“Think of lifting the upper hamstrings instead of squeezing the seat.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks.”
― Christopher Hitchens

Help expand the knowledge base!
Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:



No comments:

Post a Comment