2 3 Fun Friday Plumb Bob | Ballet Webb

Friday, April 5, 2019

Fun Friday Plumb Bob



Fun Friday Plumb Bob

What, you may ask, is a plumb bob? Here is the definition: “A plumb bob, or plummet, is a weight, usually with a pointed tip on the bottom, suspended from a string and used as a vertical reference line, or plumb-line. It is essentially the vertical equivalent of a water level".

A plumb bob can be any type of string or ribbon that is weighted at the bottom. And it can be very useful in a dance class. It can demonstrate visually whether a dancer’s weight is centered over their foot. Or whether their spine is straight. Or, if connected to the knee during a plié, whether the knee is accurately aligned over the foot. The legs in a  six o’clock penchée form a perfect plumb line.

I’m sure you can think of many other uses for a plumb bob in a dance class.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Secret #20z:
“A carpenter’s plumb bob is a useful prop.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“I want my inner truth to be the plumb line for the choices I make about my life - about the work that I do and how I do it, about the relationships I enter into and how I conduct them.”
― Parker Palmer

Help expand the knowledge base!
Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:



No comments:

Post a Comment