2 3 Superstitious Saturday Chookas | Ballet Webb

Saturday, April 6, 2019

Superstitious Saturday Chookas




Superstitious Saturday Chookas

I’ve talked about the various words dancers use to wish each other good luck prior to a performance. Toi toi toi and merde are the most commonly used terms. But I ran across one today that I hadn’t heard before, perhaps because it comes from Australia. The word is chukkas or chookas.

The word means chickens. That’s right, chickens. How this came about is a mystery but it is thought to have started when Australian dancers first began earning money for their performances. During this time period, a highly coveted dish was chicken. Therefore, if the box office receipts were good, dancers could afford the gourmet meal after the show.

Hence the word being used to bestow good luck on dancers.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Superstition #145:
“Using the word chookas is a way of expressing good luck.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it”
― Thomas Jefferson

Help expand the knowledge base!
Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:



No comments:

Post a Comment