2 3 Terminology Tuesday Lyre | Ballet Webb

Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Terminology Tuesday Lyre



Terminology Tuesday Lyre

In Gail Grant’s book Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet, comes this term:  “Arabesque a la lyre [ a-ra-BESK a lah leer]. Arabesque with the lyre.
This position resembles the arabesque a deux bras (third arabesque Cecchetti)
but both palms are held up and the elbows are slightly curved as if the dancer
were holding a lyre. “

I think this defintion describes the position well.

A lyre is a stringed instrument that looks similar to a small harp. It was used by the ancient Greeks to accompany song and recitation.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Terminology Secret #30f:
“In arabesque à la lyre, the dancer appears to be holding a lyre.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:



No comments:

Post a Comment