2 3 Wacky Wednesday Knee Level | Ballet Webb

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Wacky Wednesday Knee Level



Wacky Wednesday Knee Level

Cities are often described by how close they are to sea level. A mountain city might be 4000 feet above sea level, while Miami exists at sea level. Parts of New Orleans are (gasp!) below sea level (hence their systems of seawalls and dikes).

All this brings me to grand pliés in second position. Dancers often go deeper than they should, allowing their pelvis to drop below their knees. They go below knee level. Not good. This puts a strain on the knees, and serves no useful purpose.

Instead, the pelvis should go just to knee level. Just like cities, going below sea level (or knee level) creates problems.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Secret #2dd.:
“In second position grand plié, the hips must not go below knee level.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“Men argue. Nature acts.”
― Voltaire

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:



No comments:

Post a Comment