2 3 Throwback Thursday and Ballet Blanc | Ballet Webb

Thursday, May 3, 2018

Throwback Thursday and Ballet Blanc



Throwback Thursday and Ballet Blanc

It recently came to my attention that there are supposed to be seven white ballets (ballet blanc). I hadn’t heard that number before and so I set out to research it. Here are the seven I pieced together from various sources:
Ballet of the Nuns
La Sylphide
Les Sylphide
Giselle
La Bayadere
Swan Lake
Nutcracker
What I have yet to discover is when these seven were designated – and who categorized them. It may simply be a truth that is handed down orally from teacher to student (as so many things are in ballet), and was never written down.

“A dance in which the women wear white tulle ballet dresses or romantic tutus, in the style seen in La Sylphide in 1832 and thereafter immortalized in many romantic lithographs. One of the most famous examples of ballet blanc is Act II of Giselle.

Does anyone out there know who first categorized the seven white ballets?


From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Dance History Facoid #132:
“There are reputedly seven ballet blanc (white ballets).”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“Dancing is creating a sculpture that is visible only for a moment.”
― Erol Ozan

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:



No comments:

Post a Comment