2 3 Saturday Rehearsal Saying | Ballet Webb

Saturday, December 23, 2017

Saturday Rehearsal Saying


Saturday Rehearsal Saying

Dancers and actors are a superstitious lot. I’ve talked about this before. And today I present an old adage that comes up often in the dance world.

I’m talking about the idea that if one has a bad dress rehearsal it means a good performance. This is a common thought for anyone in the theater. But where does it come from and could it actually be true?

Where this well-known saying comes from is a mystery. Perhaps it started with a director trying to boost the morale of his dancers/actors after a disastrous dress rehearsal. Maybe it evolved simply because mistakes happen in rehearsal and are thus able to be fixed in the opening show.  If this is the case, the saying is true: make all the mistakes you can before an audience is in the theater.

Whatever the case, a dose of positive thinking before opening night is a good thing!

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Secret #105:
“It is said that a bad dress rehearsal means a good performance.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“Human spirit is the ability to face the uncertainty of the future with curiosity and optimism. It is the belief that problems can be solved, differences resolved. It is a type of confidence...”
Bernard Beckett, Genesis

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:



No comments:

Post a Comment