2 3 Sunday Motivational Metaphors | Ballet Webb

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Sunday Motivational Metaphors





Sunday Motivational Metaphors

You will remember from your English classes that a metaphor is “a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance.” This is different than a simile which is a figure of speech in which two unlike things are explicitly compared, as in “she is like a rose.” Whew. Let’s simplify: a simile is a direct comparison and uses the words “like” or “as” - a metaphor isn’t a direct comparison and doesn’t use “like” or “as”.

Let’s talk about metaphors and how they can help motivate you. Since a metaphor is essentially a picture in your mind, this vision will either motivate you or discourage you. The trick is to use positive metaphors, and eliminate negative ones. For instance, replace “fighting an uphill battle” with something like “my ship is sailing forward”, or “I am gliding on the wind”. You can also apply a metaphor to yourself: “I’m a fighter”, “I’m a tiger”, etc. Find metaphors that motivate you.

I’ve talked before about how a particular song can be a musical metaphor – choose one that really motivates you and play it whenever you need a boost.

There are innumerable ways to apply metaphors to your life. Just choose positive ones!

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets:
Motivational Secret #47:
“Think in motivational metaphors.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
Worry is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but doesn’t get you anywhere.”
-Erma Bombeck

            Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are two coloring books! They are available on Amazon.


Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

No comments:

Post a Comment