2 3 Saturday Self Editing Statute | Ballet Webb

Saturday, January 7, 2017

Saturday Self Editing Statute







Saturday Self Editing Statute

Dancers are masters of self editing. And, in moderation, this is a good thing. But dancers are also masters of excessive self editing, and that is not a good thing.

You know what I mean. No matter how well something is performed, from a step to an entire performance, an Excessive Self-Editor (ESE) takes no joy in it, feels no accomplishment and mentally tears apart every little thing. This makes the dancer feel bad. 

Okay. What to do? Recognize the problem, and practice positive self-editing. I know, I know – this is more than difficult in a profession where everyone else tears you apart on a regular basis. But that should be precisely why you practice building yourself up and not down. As my grandfather said as he leaned back to look at the paint job he had just completed: “I might as well admire my own work since it is unlikely anyone else will…”

Give yourself positive self edits. For every negative edit, add a positive one…

Trust me, ESE dancers are unlikely to ever develop a big head or become overly confident.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets:
Ballet Secret #96:
Avoid excessive self-editing.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“Be mindful. Be grateful. Be positive. Be true. Be kind.”
Roy T. Bennett

            Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are two coloring books! They are available on Amazon.


Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

No comments:

Post a Comment