2 3 Saturday Silly | Ballet Webb

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Saturday Silly


Saturday Silly

Today I present one of the silliest sayings I’ve run across. Silly or not, dancers use it frequently, and there is even a Pinterest Board with that title:  https://www.pinterest.com/emilyleahsugg/when-in-doubt-bourree-out/.

I don’t know where this catchy little phrase originated, but it is similar in meaning to the theatrical “exit, stage left (or right)”, which came from directions in a script telling the actor which way to exit. So I suspect there may be some relationship here.

At any rate, whenever a situation arises requiring an exit, dancers use the rhyming “When in doubt, bourrée out”, instead of the more familiar, “exit, stage left”.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets:

Silly Saying #66:  
“When in doubt, bourrée out.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“Look on every exit as being an entrance somewhere else.”
Tom Stoppard

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:


No comments:

Post a Comment