2 3 Ballet, Passion, and Libraries | Ballet Webb

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Ballet, Passion, and Libraries


I was always fascinated with ballet.  One of my earliest memories involves watching some “ballerinas” on a local morning news program.  From then on, I was hooked, totally and completely.  But since my family  was unable to provide dance lessons, at least during my early years, I did the next best thing. 

As my students know, I am also in love with libraries.  That’s where I began teaching myself about ballet.  Sitting cross-legged on the floor (the dance books were located  on a bottom shelf), I satisfied (somewhat) my hunger to know everything possible about ballet and dance.  I didn’t learn the technique physically, of course, but I devoured everything I could about it in theory.  I learned the names of the steps, and the dancers, and the companies.  There on the floor of the library I also developed my love for dance history that continues to this day.

 I practically wore out the library’s dance books, until, at age fourteen, I was at last enrolled in dance classes!  I knew enough from my years of reading that the choice of a dance school was critically important, and I was fortunate enough to study with the best of the best at The Academy of Performing Arts in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.  This is a big thank you to all those teachers!! 

A wonderful article on libraries was published many years ago in Victoria magazine, and I believe it should be posted in every library in the world!  The article is:  Passport to the Universe by Patricia O’Toole.  Here is an abridged version:
 

Link of the Day: 
 
From the Introduction of The Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets:
“There are many paths to the destination of your dreams.”

Quote of the Day:
“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.”
-          Eleanor Roosevelt

 

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment