2 3 Terminology Tuesday Tour Suivi | Ballet Webb

Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Terminology Tuesday Tour Suivi



Terminology Tuesday Tour Suivi

I learned that pirouettes from fifth to fifth were called tour suivi. But when I looked it up in Gail Grant’s Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet the phrase wasn’t there. I found tour, of course, but the closest to suivi I found was de suite which means continuously.

A Google search linked me to one of my own blogs: http://balletwebb.blogspot.com/2015/11/mad-monday-front-foot.html and nothing else.

In French the word suivi translates to continuous, as well as through, running, or non-stop. Also, following, or tracked. Thus, I conclude that although tour suivi is seldom used today to describe sequential turns from fifth, but there are videos that demonstrate this term (see The Links of the Day below).

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Terminology Secret #76:
Tour suivi means continuous turn.

Link of the Day:
Quote of the Day:

Help expand the knowledge base!
Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:

No comments:

Post a Comment