2 3 Terminology Tuesday Ballotté | Ballet Webb

Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Terminology Tuesday Ballotté



Terminology Tuesday Ballotté

The word ballotté [ba-law-TAY] means “tossed”. Gail Grant states in her book Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet: “…tossing step requiring a great deal of balance, ballon and èpaulement”.

Yet this is a common step and can be done with the knees straight or bent. It most famously seen in the 1st act of Giselle (see the Link of the Day below).

In the French school the step is called “jeté bateau”.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Terminology Secret #78:
“Ballotté means ‘tossed’.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:

Help expand the knowledge base!
Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:

No comments:

Post a Comment