2 3 Superstitious Saturday Cake | Ballet Webb

Saturday, June 15, 2019

Superstitious Saturday Cake



Superstitious Saturday Cake

I have heard this superstition before: If a single women sleeps with a piece of wedding cake under her pillow she will dream of her future husband. It always made me wonder how this is possible. Not the dream but the actual act of putting a piece of cake under one’s pillow. Seems like it would make an awful mess.

Does it work if the cake is wrapped tightly? It would still get squashed – unless it was under the very edge of a large pillow, I guess.

Anyway, this superstition dates back at least to the 17th century, and may relate to the bride giving her guests tiny bits of cake to pass through her wedding ring for good luck. Also, at this time fruitcakes were the common wedding cake and I suppose they would make less of a mess if placed beneath a pillow.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Superstition #157:
“If a single women sleeps with a piece of wedding cake under her pillow she will dream of her future husband.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“I begin to describe a three-tier cake. The bottom tier would be a deep, dark devil's food cake filled with thick chocolate custard. The middle tier would be a vanilla cake filled with a fluffy vanilla mousse and a layer of roasted strawberries. The top tier, designed to be removed whole and frozen for the first anniversary, would be one layer of chocolate cake and one of vanilla with a strawberry buttercream filling. The whole cake would be covered in a layer of vanilla buttercream, perfectly smoothed, and the tiers separated by a simple line of piped dots, looking like a string of pearls.”
― Stacey Ballis, 
Wedding Girl

Help expand the knowledge base!
Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:

No comments:

Post a Comment