2 3 Wondrous Wednesday Èpaulement | Ballet Webb

Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Wondrous Wednesday Èpaulement



Wondrous Wednesday Èpaulement

Dancers are sometimes described as having a beautiful èpaulement. This generally means they look beautiful when they move, especially in the upper body and the movement of the arms. But what does the word itself mean?

Èpaulement is a French term (not surprising) that means “shouldering” . It does not mean, as some may assume, simply the movement of the arms or port de bras. But this confusion is understandable since the arm movements figure prominently in the total movements that involve the angles of the shoulder as well as the head and neck.

Èpaulement, in my opinion, also involves the intangible. There is an artistic, expressive quality that many dancers have in their èpaulement that takes it beyond the ordinary.

 I’m sure you know what I mean.


From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Secret #21jj:
“The word ‘èpaulement’ means ‘shouldering’.

Link of the Day:


Quote of the Day:
“The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.”
― Jimmy Johnson

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:



No comments:

Post a Comment