2 3 Terminology Tuesday Serré | Ballet Webb

Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Terminology Tuesday Serré



Terminology Tuesday Serré

The adjective serré or serreé [seh-RAY] means tight or close. Dancers are probably most familiar with this term in conjunction with petits battements serré which we often see in frappé exercises at the barre.

Probably the most famous example of this step is at the very end of the White Swan pas de deux performed in the second act of Swan Lake (see the Link of the Day below at 7:28).

Interestingly, the noun serré means greenhouse or hothouse.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Terminology Secret #62:
“Serré means tight or close.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.”
― Dr. Seuss

Help expand the knowledge base!
Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:

No comments:

Post a Comment