2 3 Saturday Macbeth Superstition | Ballet Webb

Saturday, February 10, 2018

Saturday Macbeth Superstition



Saturday Macbeth Superstition

Here is yet another superstition related to performers and theaters.

Never say the name of Shakespeare’s play Macbeth in a theater. If you must reference this play for some reason, simply say “the Scottish play”. But where did this superstition come from?

Joseph Whelan, theater history professor at Syracuse University states: “this comes from the original days of the play, when theatergoers believed in witches. It was believed that the incantations the witches say in the play could actually produce bad spirits or work as a curse.”

So, to put it bluntly, saying Macbeth in a theater is the same thing as cursing the show.

Scary.


From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Superstition #111:
“Never say the name Macbeth in a theater.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
"Fair is foul, and foul is fair".
- Shakespeare (Macbeth Act I, Scene I)

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:



No comments:

Post a Comment