2 3 Fun Friday Toes Know | Ballet Webb

Friday, November 18, 2016

Fun Friday Toes Know



Fun Friday Toes Know

In the category of bad rhymes comes today’s thought. 

I’ve done several blogs about the toes and how important they are to proper technique. It’s almost as though they “know” which way is best. For example, if a dancer stands on relevé with her weight over the little toes, those baby toes stage a protest and cause either a sickled foot (gasp!), or cause an inability to remain on relevé, or most likely, both. Worst case scenario is a fall. Scary!

The toes also provide the all-important final thrust in a jump, and if this doesn’t happen, the jump doesn’t. The toes also provide part of the essential cushioning for the landing from a jump, and if the toes aren’t being used (i.e. rolling through the foot), a thudding sound results. And, as we all know, there is no thudding in ballet.

In other words, when the weight is improperly placed, whatever goal the dancer is trying to achieve will be thwarted. 

All of this reminds me of another rhyme: “…you’re a poet and you don’t know it, but your feet show it because they are Longfellows…”

I’ll stop now.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets:
Ballet Secret #8j:  
The toes know where they need to be placed.”

                Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.”
Groucho Marx

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest book is a coloring book! It is available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

No comments:

Post a Comment