2 3 Technical Tuesday Latissimus Dorsi | Ballet Webb

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Technical Tuesday Latissimus Dorsi


Technical Tuesday Latissimus Dorsi

Dancers need to have a basic understanding of anatomy so they can more effectively target specific muscles and feel what they need to do to execute certain movements. One of the best ways for dancers to learn about anatomy is by looking at drawings (see above).

Today I’m talking about the Latissimus Dorsi that extends from the top of the pelvis (in the back) all the way to the underarm area (where it becomes narrow). This is an important muscle for dancers because it influences not only the back, but also the arms. I like to think about it as being wing-like, and I tell my students to think of their arms coming from their spine, not from the shoulders – like the wings of a bird. This requires an awareness of, and expansion of the latissimus dorsi during port de bras.

Looking at the drawing above, it is easy to see how this works, from an anatomical standpoint.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets:

Anatomical Secret #24a:  
“The Latissimus Dorsi extends from the back of the top of the pelvis to the underarm.”

                Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“The brain is like a muscle. When it is in use we feel very good. Understanding is joyous.”
― Carl Sagan

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

            Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:


1 comment:

  1. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. sub zero fridge repair

    ReplyDelete