2 3 Technical Tuesday Double Duty | Ballet Webb

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Technical Tuesday Double Duty


Technical Tuesday Double Duty

I love ballet. It is so logical. Learning one skill is useful because it often applies in other steps later. For example, in an en dedans pirouette, there are two ways to prepare: 1.the working leg moves directly from fourth position to retiré; or 2. the working leg extends to à la seconde before moving to retiré.

I like to teach students the second way because this is the same preparation that is used for à la seconde turns en dedans. I love skills that do double duty.

I also teach the first way, but I find that students achieve that with relative ease. The preparation to à la seconde is a bit more difficult, but once perfected, a la seconde turns are easily mastered – often to the student’s surprise.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets:
Secret #14q:  
An en dedans pirouette preparation that involves an extension to the side is the same as the preparation for an à la seconde turn.

                Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
““The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books”
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:


2 comments:

  1. Just want to say thank you so much for your generous knowledge sharing and I am sure it has help many people out there who had never left a comment (this includes me in the past!). Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting, Alicia! I'm happy to help.

    ReplyDelete