2 3 Super Saturday Statute | Ballet Webb

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Super Saturday Statute


Super Saturday Statute

I have blogged before about how the knee can be imagined as having a smiley face.  The curve below the patella (knee cap) forms a perfect smile, and it is easy to imagine two eyes above it . 

This is helpful for turn-out.  Today’s statute says it all:  In classical ballet, the knee (smiley face) never faces the floor.  The only exception is when the dancer is descending to the floor and planning to pose with the weight on one knee.

The problem is often having half of the knee facing the floor.  This occurs when the dancer’s leg isn't rotated (turned-out) enough, and it appears as though one eye of the smiley face is staring at the floor.  For correct rotation to be achieved, both “eyes” must be “looking” outward and not at the floor.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets:

Secret #27:  
“The knee never faces the floor.”

                Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. I have nights when I show up at the arena and I'm like, 'My back hurts, my feet hurt, my knees hurt. I don't have it. I just want to chill.' We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it.”
-          Kobe Bryant


                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment